Saturday, June 25, 2022

Day 1 - Quinlan Great UK Adventure

Minneapolis to London

Finally. 

After having planned this trip down to the last detail two years ago, then cancelling it because of the pandemic, then thinking about rescheduling last year, then abandoning that idea, we finally got on a plane and continued the Quinlan Great UK Adventure (England and Wales Edition).  

Before we start, a little background. I went to college in Wales for a semester back in the mid-80s. For anyone who isn't familiar with the country of Wales, which is part of Great Britain, it's the blob on the west side of England. 

After I graduated college I moved to London to live and work for a year. I was 22 years old, had very little responsibility and it was the mid-80s. Let your imaginations wander. 

When I left London in 1987 I wasn't expecting it to take 35 years (almost to the day) for me to get back there. Life gets in the way of your plans sometimes.

So - this was a very special and exciting trip for me. Not only to revisit a lot of memories myself, but to let Sean have a little peek at my life as a young 20-something. 

We started out in London, arriving at Heathrow Airport mid-morning 

and hopped on the Tube for a trip into the city. 

I was worried that London had changed enough that I wouldn't know where to go or how to get anywhere.

Buildings get built. Businesses switch names. But London never really changes.

As we rode on the train, I heard a young father ask his child if they wanted 'biscuits' or 'crisps'. That's when I knew I was finally back. I smiled, and didn't stop smiling for days.


The 30-minute Tube ride took us to Piccadilly Circus station, then we walked the half mile to our hotel right off Trafalgar Square. 

There was a music festival going on at the Square, so Sean's first glimpse of Lord Nelson was a little disappointing (to me anyway). 

We settled in our hotel, changed and set off to see the city. 

It did take me awhile to get my bearings and figure out which way was what, but muscle memory led us right to the heart of the Saturday night activity. 

We were a couple weeks late for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, but most of the streets and storefronts were still decorated for the celebration.


After our first pints on English soil, 


we walked up to the West End theatre district. American actor Amy Adams was starring in a play and came out right after the matinee to greet people and sign autographs.

Apparently she did this every night. We saw her on at least two occasions. 

I can't tell you what Sean's first impressions of London were, but he looked mesmerised. Everywhere we stopped for a pint or to look at something, I tried to help him get his mind around where he actually was.

Leicester Square, Covent Garden market, So-Ho, Piccadilly Circus. All places he'd read about all his life and was finally getting to see. We couldn't believe the people and the energy 

and the outside urinals.

Jet lagged, exhausted, but so very full of we headed back to the hotel to try to get some sleep and be ready for the incredibly full day ahead of us tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add a comment. We'd love to know what you think of our adventure and be sure to tell us if you know of something interesting to see in your area!